Thursday, April 8

Cruising the Coromandel on Easter Weekend

I arrived in Raglan last Wednesday where I met my couchsurfing host, Andre. For those of you who have never heard of “Couchsurfing,” it's something that I was introduced to several years ago and is a budget travelers dream!! Couchsurfing is an online network where people create profiles of themselves and advertise their “couch” or whichever sleeping surface (air mattress, bed, floor mat, hammock... ;-) ) they have available. So, when I decided to come to Raglan, I typed “Raglan” in the search box and Andre's profile amongst other Raglaners pop up. After checking out people's profiles (and viewing their references – just one of the “safety” mechanisms that CS has created), you can message them and let them know the dates that you are looking to “surf their couch.” If they are available and willing to host you, they write back and Tada! you have a free place to stay and a chance to meet a local in the area. I totally recommend Couchsurfing – and you don't even need to be a traveler to do it! Lots of people go on an just enjoy hosting other travelers – if you don't get the opportunity to travel much, it's a great way to bring other cultures to you. I give Couchsurfing two huge thumbs UP! Check it out at “www.couchsurfing.org”

Andre took myself and another couchsurfer, Stephanie from France, to the Te Toto Gorge on the outskirts of Raglan. There was a gorgeous lookout over the ocean with a stunning view of the Raglan Harbor. The gorge was really beautiful with incredibly steep cliffs, black rocky beaches and lots of greenery. So pretty!!

We drove back down to the beach – more black sand but since the sun was beginning to set, it wasn't scorching on the feet! So, I ditched my sandals at the stairs and walked barefoot – one of the many things on my “What makes me happy” list :-)

We walked along the beach for quite a while. With the sun setting it got quite a bit cooler. but we watched a few jetskis playing in the water and dipped our toes in the tide pools of the beach. There were tide pools everywhere! There were even the cliché bongo drummers on the beach to serenade us :-)

When we got back to the car, the sky was starting to turn this brilliant pinkish/orange color. So, we zoomed back to the lookout over the beach and enjoyed the setting of the firey orange ball. How peacefully stunning.

The next day, Andre invited me to go on a road trip with him to the Coromandel Peninsula for the Easter weekend. I hadn't thought I would be able to make it to the east coast/Bay of Plenty area while I was in the North Island, so I was stoked that he was willing to let me tag along! We drove to Thames on Friday and I met Andre's mum, brother, brother's girlfriend, sister and niece. Andre's mum had the idea to go to the Square Kauri tree in Tapu which was about 40 minutes north of Thames. It was in the middle of this windy, gravel road and just had this small sign next to the trail entrance. It only took about 10 minutes to get to the tree, and it was actually square...well, as square as a tree can grow!

We went to the Saturday morning market in town. A mix between arts and crafts and farmers goods! I found my first souvenir – a really cool pair of earring that were carved out of wood – one earring was the shape of the North Island and the other earring was the South Island! They had my name written all over them :-)

Andre and I spent Easter Sunday in Tauranga with a group of his close friends. Andre went on a morning mission and picked up fresh hot crossed buns for breakfast (which are a huge thing in NZ!). Then, the whole lot of us went to the National Jazz Festival in downtown Tauranga and spent the afternoon listening to sweet jazz music by the river. It was a lovely Sunday, but I missed doing the tradition “Easter things” that I would have done at home – coloring eggs and easter eggs hunts. I even missed going to the Easter Saturday mass and singing all the beautiful Easter songs at church. It just didn't feel like Easter without family and easter eggs. But, we all enjoyed the sunny, warm weather and lively music.

On Monday, I drove for my first time in NZ! It was actually really simple but I kept hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal cause they are switched on the NZ cars. But, it was fun to be behind the wheel again :-)

I drove myself to Mt. Maunganui (aka. “The Mount”) and made the hike up to the summit (only getting a bit turned around twice...). I climbed up the steep side of the mountain – like seriously steep!!! I couldn't get over the fact that there were people RUNNING up the damn mountain! Holy hell!! Ambitious buggers...I thought they were crazy – yet seriously jealous that they could do it without passing out...or dying. I spent a while on the summit, playing around with my camera timer and soaking in the beautiful view. I could see all of Mt. Maunganui and Tauranga. It was so big!! So many houses and water and mountains in the distance. Quite a lovely view.

We were back in Raglan by Monday night – and the first thing I had to do was...boil an egg!! I was determined to color an Easter egg – tis the season! Andre had markers and pulled out a NZ flag so I could copy it on my egg :-) It turned out really cool!! Just a day late is all...No bother, better late then never.

I went out in the drizzle of Raglan on Tuesday and walked all the way to Manu Bay. As I was crossing a bridge, I started talking with this Maori guy, Shannon. He and his mates were diving for mussels and oysters! He asked if I wanted to try one, and and I thought I might as well try it! So, he had his friend throw one up, cracked it open, and said, “Just slurp it...shhlup!” Ugh!! It looked pretty gross...and I kept trying to drain the saltwater off (apparently I was supposed to leave the “juice” - whoops!) Anyway, I slurped and ate the whole thing! It was really salty and, well...pretty disgusting. Haha, probably won't be eating raw oysters again any time soon.

I finally made my way up to Solscape Eco-Retreat (a hostel and camp ground in Raglan). They had an opening for a female worker to do cleaning for accommodation, so I start on Friday! I took a browse around the grounds - it was pretty cool! Their dorms are recycled old train cabs! And they have tipis and lots of tents around too, Sweet spot with an awesome view of the ocean. I am excited to be back in the hostel atmosphere. So, looks like I'll be hanging out in Raglan till the 23rd of April. Plenty of time to get some good tramping, swimming, surfing, and kayaking in!! Raglan is just an awesome place to be – I am definitely glad to be spending more time here.

Yesterday, I took out Andre's kayak and kayaked around the Raglan Harbor. It was so quiet and peaceful! The harbor is huge too – I kayaked around for about 3 hours and still only got to about 1/6 of the harbor. Andre's going to let me take out his kayak while I'm staying at Solscape too! So, I'll definitely be taking advantage of that.

Well, time for me to pack up my stuff and head over to Solscape. Goodbye internet and mattress – hello communal kitchen and tent living!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment