Tuesday, March 2

Are they Kiwi's? Or Greek Gods?

The Weekend and beyond...

* Here are the updates from the last week or so! Internet has been scarce and I've just been out and about too much to take the time to post – so, just bare with me :-9 I suggest scrolling down to the bottom and reading up...there's quite a bit, so if you're keen to read a travel novel, have at it! Enjoy :-) *

Well, it's my first weekend in Paihia! Since I starting work in the hostel and have gotten to know the city a bit better, I have gotten a bit of a routine going day to day. So, the whirlwind adventures of my first few days in New Zealand are winding down just a bit. It's actually quite nice to wake up, work for a couple hours, then spend the rest of the day either at the pool or down by the beach – or just hanging out in the courtyard with the other hostel staff and travelers. There's always new faces at the hostel which keeps things interesting and fun!

I made my first trip to the BIG supermarket in town. I took out one of the bikes and cycled my way there since it is a bit of a trek by foot – especially carrying everything back. I got ingredients to make Thai Curry noodles (I have been craving it ever since I saw some other girls making it in the kitchen!) so I am pretty stoked about that meal :-)

I went to a nearby pub to hang out with some friends and watch the Canada verses Slovakia Olympic hockey game. Canada won, but it was a bit of a heart-beater towards the end there!! I wonder which game Brent and Danielle went to... But either way I'm a bit jealous! *wink

At the bar, there were about 30 or so people dressed in Togas!! Hahaha, it was so funny. I found out that they were on a pub crawl from Whangarei and had been going since 1:00pm that afternoon! Lol, it looked like they were having a fantastic time :-9

On Sunday, I went on a hike to the top of the nearby hill to get a wonderful view of the bay, the boats and the water. It's been raining a bit more here so the green stuff is starting to perk up!

I tried to go to the library on Sunday to use their WIFI, but apparently they turn off their internet when the library is closed! Dang! Which also means that when I arrived on Monday, I still couldn't check my email because, once again, closed... That's not so convenient :-(

Last night, I watched my first moon rise. It was absolutely stunning. The moon was HUGE and the color of macaroni and cheese. I watched it rise up over the mountains behind the little town of Russel which sits across the bay from Paihia. I was out for an evening run and just had to stop to watch the moon appear in all it's glory. Pretty incredible.

My Scottish friend Paula and I went to Salty's bar down the way for Kareoke night! And, I typically don't do Karaoke, but I did!! Haha, I sang “Get this party started” by Pink, for all of you who know what song that is... :-) It was super fun! Then played a couple games of foosball, and thanks to all practice I had with Allison and the crew before I left, I totally represented Wisco! Lol. I think they were all quite impressed.

4 comments:

  1. That's my girl!! Glad you found a fooseball table already. I've been trying to get along playing with random partners....Wags, Donkey, Scott, Steve. Steve told me I actually have some "skill" so I've dubbed him my coach and he's trying to teach me how to "control" my shots! I miss my partner in crime though. Thanks for all the updates! Love you loads...
    *AL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to catch up on your comings and goings. The scenery sounds breathtaking - mountains and beaches - can't beat it! Good luck job hunting and finding a good balance. Glad to hear you haven't forgotten your silence baths. XXOOX, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll live vicariously through you, Anna! Sounds like you're having an amazing time so far. I assume you're taking lots of pictures. Can't wait to see them. Keep having fun on your adventure! Hugs for now. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the updates. I check every day.

    haha

    I want to see pics soon :)

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete