Friday, February 26

A lovely day for kayaking and a BBQ!

Woke up around 9 o'clock – 11 hours of sleep!! Yay me! haha. Then worked from 10:00-11:30 or so...J

I applied for my tax ID number at the Post Office today too. The lady behind the desk was super friendly and helpful. I had to go across the street to get a few things copied and printed off a few copies of my resume as well. There were two Germans working in the “copy centre” and they were super nice too! I realized after I handed out my resume to a couple places, that I've been spelling “Paihia” wrong...This whole time too!! Sheesh, well, at least I figured it out sooner than later...

So, I just walked around the town for a good couple hours and walked into practically every restaurant and cafe asking for the manager and then seeing if they had work available. almost all of them have people leaving but not for another 3 weeks or so. Although, I did pretty much get offered a waitressing job...but it doesn't exactly sound like something I want to do...It's a a restaurant called Esmae's and I actually spoke with Esmae the owner! She is a sweet older woman, super cute. I could pretty much start working there next Friday, but it would be 6 days per week (not Sunday), 5:30-10:00pm, $13.50 (ish) per hour, but here's the bummer...I would be the only one on staff. Plus, she wants me longer term (like at LEAST 2 months I'm guessing) so I just don't think it's a good fit. I'll keep looking.

After not much luck on the job front, I asked Mark if the Bay Adventure kayak was available. And it was!! So, I went down to the beach and went kayaking for about 45 minutes or so – it was so great!! I got some good thinking done out on the water...thought about how the ability to kayak, swim on the beach, lay on the beach, and meet new people at the hostel was just exactly what I was looking for. I figured maybe I would treat myself to one “adrenaline rush” activity each month – so in the end, I would have 12 awesomely thrilling things to go with a year's worth of daily awesome. :-)

I went for a good swim after I finished kayaking, the headed back to the hostel. Sarah was collecting money for Loic's BBQ birthday dinner and I was all about BBQing!

I hung out in the courtyard where people were drinking and visiting. John gave me the rest of his crocodile wine (sheraz) yum!! and I met – Scott from Canada, Jerry and Ari from Holland, and Matt (another worker at the hostel who has already been skydiving 4 times!!). We just chatted and joked around to pass the time before they were back with the food and would start up the grill. We played another game of Shithead and I lost again! Seriously, not my game... The temperature had definitely gotten cooler, and eventually, I had to go and put my fleece on. It was actually chilly!! I told Scott if I wanted to wear pants and a fleece I would have just stayed in Wisco ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment