Sunday, January 23

A Barefoot Birthday

After leaving the comforts of Milford, I arrived in the lakeside town of Wanaka – a place where you can actually order a veggie burger named after the famous U.S. Country singer Shania Twain. Who'da thunk? But, besides the availability of celebrity burgers, Wanaka boasts some great hikes, a one-of-a-kind cinema, and the mind-trippy Puzzling World! With all these claims to fame, it's no wonder I found myself staying an extra week – it's a big kids playground!

I had a gig working for accommodation at Wanaka Bakpaka which meant that I got the privilege to live in the “Do Duck Inn” staff room. However, within the first couple days, my roomies and I were wishing it was named the “DoN'T Duck Inn” as new guests often mistook our small, hobbit-sized door for the hostel reception. Needless to say, I didn't spend much time in DDI since the weather outside was summery gorgeousness, and I spent my mornings and afternoons wriggling my barefeet in the soft, green grass, petting the hostel's stray kitty Food, or reading my newest romance novel next to the town's stoney (and sometimes rather windy) lakeside beach. Summer was here!!! :-D

During my two week stay in Wanaka, I couldn't seem to find enough time in a day! On day one, I borrowed the purple bike and joined my friends Ricarda and Hannah on a cycle around Lake Wanaka with a stop midway for a breath-stealing dip in it's icy blue waters. The next day, I met up with Hannah and her housemate Nikki for a morning tramp up the Rocky Mountain with rewarding views of Wanaka, Mt. Aspiring, and Shania Twain's ever-expanding acreage of NZ soil.

With all the exercise friendly activities to do in Wanaka, it came as no surprise that the town just happened to be hosting one of the world's top six Iron Man competitions that weekend – the Wanaka Challenge. Two days before the big race, my roommate Steffi and I got to hang out with one of the athletes! Jonathon Simpson – Simo for short – a 33 time Iron Man Tri-athlete! Holy WOW! Jonathon offered to take Steffi and I to Arrowtown for the day where we window shopped around the quaint, historical gold-mining town. The highlight of the day was coming across a few adorable, young entrepreneurs selling fresh, organic plums from their roadside stand. “2 for 10 cents, 4 for 20 cents, 6 for 30 cents” read their colorful, handmade sign. I couldn't help myself – I bought a whole dollars worth. Their cuteness made them irresistible salesmen!

Instead of sleeping in on Saturday morning, myself, along with three of my Bakpaka mates, were up bright and early to cheer on the Iron Man participants! Although it was early, the whole town was buzzing with excitement and pulsing with secondhand adrenaline from the athletes who were currently swimming 3.8 kilometers in windy weather and choppy lake conditions. We cheered our hearts out for each swimmer emerging from the unwelcoming lake and gave extra whoops and hollers to Jonathon when we finally spotted him! We rushed over to the bike transition area and cheered again as he zoomed by and gave us the thumbs up. Only a 180 km cycle and a full marathon to go...God speed Simo! (*It wasn't until the next day that we saw Jonathon again. He completed the race in 17 hours and 15 minutes, crossing the finish line 15 minutes before the cut off time! Bravo!*)

On the only rainy day I had in Wanaka, a group of us went to check out Puzzling World, a place filled to the brim with mind-playing illusions, a disorientatingly (if that's not in the dictionary, it should be...) tilting room, the most photographed toilets in NZ, and a room full of puzzles! For a rainy afternoon, this is both big and little kid paradise.

Another must-do of Wanaka is the world-famous Paradiso cinema known for their fresh-baked, chewy cookies at intermission and theater seats that include a variety of comfy couches and even a bright yellow car! Not having yet seen the latest Harry Potter movie, my Canadian friend Laura joined me for nearly three hours of teenagers romancing and spell casting – I thought the movie was wicked! :-)

Wanaka, with it's quiet, lakeside charm, was also where I decided to celebrate my 24th birthday. I woke up on Friday morning, only to enter the kitchen to a tray full of “Americans” (Yeah, there's actually a cookie named after us! How did I not know this??) alight with 24 glowing birthday candles. Cheers to Ricarda for awesome birthday breakfast cookies! I spent my first EVER summer birthday doing what I've never been able to do before – lounge in the warm sun, drink a few brews, and be barefoot. Ahhh - being 24 never felt so good.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having an awesome time. Happy 24th Birthday--now fully adult!!! Uncle Geno

    ReplyDelete