Friday, March 4

Just Beat It

Through a stroke of good fortune, I discovered one of the best kept secrets of Australia's Central Coast - The Rhythm Hut. This one-of-a-kind gem is run by a small staff of dedicated people and instructors who believe in the power of music, rhythm, and art. Rendra, a man immersed in the scenes of the Rhythm Hut, had a passion and a vision to create a drumming school and has since established and nurtured a unique and talented community of drumming enthusiasts.

My first experience at the Rhythm Hut included an intense rehearsal by the Rhythm Hunters , a group of Taiko drummers who perform all over Australia. Their most recent public event was held at the Sydney Opera House! Sitting comfortably on one of the numerous couches at the Hut, I watched wide-eyed as a tri-troop of Rhythm Hunters practiced less than a meter in front of me. Talk about front row seating! My entire body was reverberating with each resounding beat of the drum. The Rhythm Hunters played with such strength and fluidity that showed off years of practice and devotion to drumming. I could hardly wait to grip my own set of bachi drum sticks and try my own hand at Taiko.

The art of Taiko drumming originated in Japan and is recognized widely because of the massive drums and the pronounced rising and falling arc of the arms as players strike their instrument with 16” long bachi sticks. I recalled watching a performance of Japanese Taiko drummers at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida and remembered being instantly captivated by the power and raw intensity of the percussionists on stage. Years later, I find that the rhythmic force of the Taiko drums is still not only compelling and mesmeric to watch and listen to but has an even more pronounced absorbing effect by becoming the rhythmist myself.

In the two weeks that followed, I have joined both the Taiko and the Djembe drumming classes being held at the Rhythm Hut. While I enjoy Djembe as a way to improve and challenge my mind and immerse myself in a larger group of drummers, there is just something about Taiko drumming that I can’t seem to get enough of. With each dynamic beat, my entire body vibrates with an energizing vigour. The dance, the flow, and the energy of drumming is intensely primal - you feel one with the natural current of life. I’ve learned to be purposeful and resolute when playing accents and rhythms to create a seamless flow of pulsing beats. The rhythmists strive to fuse the sounds of their drum with that of their neighbours to produce a powerful unity and oneness within the group. With each class, I am welcomed into a community filled with all ages, abilities, and races, and the harmony that I feel amongst them is authentic and emotive. And, whether you’ve come to release the tension of the day, drum out any negative emotions, or become one with a group of like-minded friends, I’ve realized one thing: “Whether you are happy, mad, sad, or glad - it always feels good to beat something!”

2 comments:

  1. thanks anna, thats quite a blog. Yay for you tonight on stage infront of hundreds with big sticks hitting a big drum xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw, I remember when I would have written something like that! :) Back in the day lol Showed some friends some old performances on YouTube and my heart beat definitely sped up! (Hiya Anna, we've never met but I'm an ex Rhythm Hunter/Hut Teacher/Hut/Hunters Manager :) If you're anything like half the couch-surfer population you'll be a Hut resident by the time I get back from O/S so I might meet you then! :) )

    ReplyDelete