Saturday, March 5

My Kindergarten Clown

At five years old, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up – a clown. It was perfectly logical! As a clown, I was able to combine the three main things that I loved in life – drawing (and by drawing, that meant painting my face before each performance), acting, and making people laugh. What better career to aspire to than that of a circus performer? I was brilliant!

Nineteen years later, my dream job has gone through many changes. But, I've discovered that as a five year old little person, I had realized something pretty important. Surround yourself with things you love, people you love. Aspire to combine all that brings you joy, and you will undoubtedly live a wonderful life filled to the brim with happiness and love. Yeah, I suppose I was pretty smart in kindergarten!

Tonight, I had an incredible opportunity to immerse myself in one such joyous event. The Rhythm Hut hosted “The Future Sound of Yoga” led by a dynamic duo that included a rockin' DJ and a soothing Yogi. I really enjoy practicing yoga, so when I found out that this evening event included not just yoga, but a DJed accompaniment as well, I was more than keen to be a part of it.

From above, the Rhythm Hut floor looked like the multicolored “Candyland” board game, checkered with an assortment of deliciously sweet yoga mats. I found an open space, laid out my own teal green mat, and readied myself for 2 hours of yoga goodness. However, my mind and body didn't even come close to anticipating the amount of profound joy I would be experiencing that evening.

The evening started out with slower beats and about 20 minutes of gentle warm ups with cleansing spine twists and sun salutations. Then came the more challenging yoga positions and faster upbeats. Throughout this time, we were given instructions and then allowed the freedom to move, shift, and stretch comfortably at our own pace.

Then came the dance portion. First yoga, then DJ music, and now dance? The kindergartener inside me was jumping up and down with excitement. I had just discovered my new clown!

The music was pulsating. The air was thick with an intense and powerful energy that only heighten as the seconds beat on. Feet and hearts pounded. Arms swayed and sweat poured. I was one with the music - the rhythm of the night coursing through my veins and the joy in my heart bursting out to mix with the floods of energy and movement that immersed the primal dancers in a river of pure, raw, love.

As the music started to slow, the dancers breathed in deep and swayed, drunk with that 100% pure, raw, love, till minds and bodies were back in the here and now. I was more aware than ever of my heart beating - steady and strong and full of life.

The entire evening was such a profound and deeply moving experience for me. I feel now that I truly understand the amazing power of movement and music. I wish for everyone, the guidance to find your very own kindergarten clown. Find that which brings you love and joy – and then share your abundant happiness with the world.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic! This was a great read, Anna. I can only imagine what it felt like for you! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anna! I loved reading this: "the dancers breathed in deep and swayed, drunk with that 100% pure, raw, love". Delicious, wonderful words, beautiful images, complete inspiration, and I wish I was there experiencing it with you. But since I'm not you did a great job of making me feel like I was there! Do they have places like this here in the states or in Italy/Europe? :cD

    So amazing. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, I forgot to comment on this but I just want to say that you should turn your travel blog into a book, you have such great descriptions and everything that it would be a natural fit. I am so happy that you found your moment of blissful happiness. I love you!

    ReplyDelete