Wednesday, February 24

Is the manager available? I'm looking for a job...

So, I wasn't so keen on having to pay for my accommodation while I was staying in Piahia. $25/day was definitely going to add up! I talked to Katie at the reception desk at YHA Piahia (the hostel I was staying at) and she recommended that I walk to the backpackers right next door and see if they had any work for accommodation. So, at 9:00am (one hour to check out...) I walked to Bay Adventures Backpacker Resort and talked to the manager, Mark. Turns out, he had about 5 of his workers leaving and one was leaving tomorrow! So, he told me to stop back around the same time the next day and he would fix me right up. I was stoked!! But, that also meant that I would need to book one more night at YHA Hostel so I scurried back over to Katie, thanked her for the suggestion, and booked night number two.

The bathrooms at this hostel had the tiniest sinks. Like, itty bitty! Probably a good thing though, cause the bathrooms were pretty small to begin with... John left that morning to drive to the South Island. He was eager to start his trout fishing part of his trip!

I decided to go for a walk around Piahia and check out the town a little bit. See where I'll be living for the next couple weeks, I think! Not long after I started walking, I saw a sign to the Public Library (yay! Library! Free internet!) I grabbed a copy of the local newspaper to see if there were any jobs being advertised in Piahia. I found two that looked alright – one for a housekeeper at a hotel and another for a cleaner at a laundry mat. No exactly what I had in mind, but it would work. I was just still so glad that I found the work for accommodation gig at Bay Adventures! Made me start to debate whether I wanted to find another job...or just enjoy the work for stay thing and spend the rest of the warm summer days at the beach!

I must have needed some catch up on sleep, so I took a wonderful nap back at the hostel. Gosh I love naps. Totally rejuvenating! :-) I decided to head to the hotel that was looking for a housekeeper and apply there and then stop into some of the restaurants to see if they had jobs available as well. Most of the places said they had people leaving in the next 2-4 weeks, but no one at the moment. At one place though, a Tapas Cafe, I spoke to the barista and she said she was leaving soon, so she figured the manager would be looking for a replacement soon! I said I would bring in my CV tomorrow and speak with the manager.

I stopped at the 4 Corner store for groceries and decided to get some actual food for a real meal! Bread, hummus, spinach, tomato...mmm!! Got the usual carrots, granola, and yogurt too, but I was way excited about making a sandwich for dinner. I even bought myself a bottle of white wine – New Zealand's finest! ;-) Okay, well it's made in NZ but since it was $6.99 it might not be the country's finest... ~grin~

After I finished my wonderful dinner, I took my wine glass and asked to join these two girls (they had moved into my dorm earlier that day) and a guy who I hadn't seen before. They fully welcomed me into their conversation, which was super nice! And they all happened to be from England!

We chatted and ate some cheese and crackers and some sort of brownie something or other...haha. We sat around the kitchen table for ages. It was really fun! Then we had the idea to go down to the beach and walk on the sand. Much more chill and conversation friendly than having a couple drinks at the bar down the road. So, the four of us wandered along the beach with out toes in the sand and out legs getting splashed by the ocean. What a perfect end of the night :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment