Wednesday, February 17

There must have been something on my mind...

Chuck Taylors? check.
Toothbrush? check.
Sleeping bag & novel? check & check!

Today was a whirlwind of last minute errands and goodbyes. As I drove to the mall, I pondered which clothes I would be getting rid of when I went through my backpack for round two...stoplight...stop...go. HOLD UP!! Still a red light! Sheesh...there must be something consuming my thoughts today... Arrive at the mall, all in one piece (phew!) and proceed to buy two shirts and two tanks tops. Definitely something I need more of for the trip...oh lord...

I bypass getting a haircut and a bikini wax...maybe I would have had enough time had I actually took the time to start the packing process last week instead of two days before departure...yep - Madame Procrastination is not my friend right now.

As I cruise on through my neighborhood, it starts to hit me a little...the fact that I'm leaving. For a year (+?). Holy shit. A WHOLE YEAR?! How will I have changed in a year from now? Where will my friends be living? How many buildings will be built or torn down in the next 12+ months...? *Deep breath*

I spent the entire afternoon unpacking, repacking, rethinking, unpacking, rolling clothes, packing...and finally ZIPPING! My life in a backpack equals 33 lbs. Wow!

Played a fun, family game of Pedro before my Bon Voyage dinner with a group of Eau Claire friends at the festive Mexican restaurant "Azul Tequila." This goodbye business is definitely not easy stuff! Yet, it still doesn't seem to be quite sinking in...this bittersweet feeling of leaving the comfort of the known for the glorious adventure of the unknown is...well...a bit unsettling - but exciting as hell! I say, "bring it." :-)

Too excited to sleep but too exhausted not to...it's time for the full effects of, yep, you guessed it - jetlag. Alarm set for 6:30 AM. Night all!

1 comment: