Friday, February 19

On Kiwi turf!

I AM HERE!!!! The rest of the flight went splendidly. I actually was able to sleep quite a bit. I watched another hilarious movie called “The Invention of Lying.” Totally recommend it if you get the chance to watch it. Breakfast came – omelet with fruit and yogurt. Delish! I got lucky with no one sitting next to me – gave me plenty of space to put my stuff and not feel like I was sleeping on the person next to me. And I never had to move for anyone to get out and pee!

I got through customs just fine – had to ask the customs officer to repeat himself though. Haven't gotten used to the Kiwi speak yet. I had a beagle sniff out my bag at baggage claim. The dog smelt my fruit and nuts that I had in it from the plane ride. Smart pup! I felt a bit “suspicious” though... ~curling up the mustache~

I went straight to the information desk at the airport to find out the best way to get to my hostel. There was this other girl there with a backpack so I go, “Where are you headed?” “Freemans Lodge” “No kidding? Me too!” And the lady behind the desk goes, “Well that's lucky, you two can split the shuttle fare.” Nice!! Come to find out, she is a nurse from England, quit her job, spent a couple weeks in California on a group tour, will spend 3 weeks in a campervan with her other English friend in NZ, and then plans to find a job as a nurse in AUS for four months. Her name was Leanne.

We arrived at the Freemans Lodge a little after 7am. The hostel lady in charge wouldn't arrive for a while, I hit up the free internet and chatted with Leanne and Anna her friend. Read a bit of my book, free asleep, read some more...

The woman, Seema, is the lady who owns the hostel. She was so helpful and friendly! Told me about how I should apply for a Tax ID number and open a bank account. Gave me a map and showed me all the hot spots near by and how to get to the city center. Pointed out the super market down the street. Definitely hitting that up soon!!

In the hostel lounge alone, I met Ben from England (going to study at Uni of Auckland), Sarah and her brother Steven (might go to a festival with them for the weekend), Pip from England, and another dude from England. Crap ton of Englanders!

I was finally shown to my room (5 bed mixed dorm)...but apparently I am the only part about it that is mixed, lol. We've got Pip, a guy from Brazil, a dude from Australia just coming from South America, and I think another guy from the states...but I haven't introduced myself to him just yet. So – me and four guys. Good deal ;-)

Okay, time for me to get some eats!! It's just past noon, so I figure I'll try to get on Kiwi schedule asap. Trick will be to not pass out around 6:00pm...

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you arrived and are meeting some interesting people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAHHHHH!!!! THIS IS SO EXCITING! I feel like I'm right with you! Ahhh the deliciousness of a new adventure--the excitement! The enchantment!! Don't let the bed bugs bite. hehe

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete